The EB-5 visa program offers high net worth individuals and families the opportunity to gain permanent US residency faster than any other method. With a minimum $900,000 investment, applicants can obtain green cards in as little as 12 months.
What is the EB-5 investor visa program?
The EB-5 immigrant investor program, also known as the employment-based fifth preference visa, was created in 1990 to stimulate the US economy through foreign capital investment and job creation.
It provides a pathway to permanent residency for foreign nationals who invest in and manage qualifying US businesses.
- Invest minimum $900,000 in an approved commercial enterprise (or $500,000 for high unemployment/rural areas)
- Create at least 10 full-time jobs for American workers
In 2019, over 10,000 EB-5 visas were issued to investors and their family members.
Benefits of an EB-5 Visa
The EB-5 program offers significant advantages beyond accelerated US residency:
- Fast processing – Conditional green cards in as little as 12 months versus 5+ years for other visa types
- Family inclusion – Spouse and unmarried children under 21 also receive conditional green cards
- Living flexibility – Reside anywhere in the US with no restrictions
- Education benefits – Access to top US universities and Ivy League schools
- Career opportunities – Work in high-paying jobs in fields like healthcare, engineering, finance
- Business incentives – Venture capital and direct investment opportunities with 10-year green card
- Travel freedom – Visa-free entry to over 180 countries in US Visa Waiver Program
- Safety nets – Participate in Social Security, Medicare, retirement benefits programs
- Citizenship – Option to apply for naturalization in 5 years
“The EB-5 program gave my family a clear path to achieve the American dream,” explains Chen Ning, Chinese EB-5 investor.
Step-by-step process to get an EB-5 Visa
Here is an overview of the step-by-step EB-5 application process:
- Select a Qualifying EB-5 Project
- Invest in a new commercial enterprise directly or through an approved regional center
- Make a Qualifying Investment
- Minimum $900,000 capital at risk (or $500,000 for rural/high unemployment areas)
- Administrative and legal fees additional
- File I-526 Petition
- Submit petition with supporting documents on lawful source of funds
- Takes 12-16 months for approval
- Obtain Conditional Green Card
- Valid for 2 years initially
- Live and work anywhere in the US
- For investor, spouse, and unmarried children under 21
- Remove Conditions
- Must file I-829 petition before conditional status expires
- Prove investment sustained & 10+ jobs created
- Get 10-year green card if approved
- Apply for Citizenship
- Option to apply for naturalization after 5 years as permanent resident
The EB-5 visa offers the fastest way for eligible investors to obtain permanent residency through an immigrant visa program.
Eligibility criteria for EB-5 applicants
To qualify for the EB-5 visa program, applicants must meet all requirements:
- Lawful source of funds – Capital cannot come from illegal activities
- Net worth – Must prove minimum required investment capital through documents
- Background checks – Extensive screenings done for criminal history, security risks
- Medical exam – Must pass health screening and required vaccinations
- Education/work experience – Generally required, with exceptions like younger applicants
For more information on getting started with an EB-5 visa application, visit www.EB5VisaUSA.com.