- Malta offers citizenship by naturalization for foreign individuals who contribute to the country’s economic development.
- The program requires a residence period of 36 months (or 12 months by exception) and undergoes a stringent due diligence process.
- Benefits include visa-free travel to 186 destinations and access to a reputable financial center.
- Requirements include a minimum age of 18, a financial contribution, property purchase or lease, and a donation to an approved organization.
- Applications undergo four-tier due diligence checks, and successful applicants receive a Maltese certificate of naturalization.
- Dual citizenship is allowed in Malta.
You can naturalise in Malta by direct investment. You can become an EU citizen by acquiring a Maltese passport. The program requires a 36-month (or, in exceptional cases, a 12-month) residence period with a thorough due diligence process.
Benefits of a Maltese passport
- Visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel is available to 186 destinations
- Malta is a recognised Mediterranean financial hub with many links to the world’s financial centres.
- Malta is attractive to live or holiday
- English is freely spoken
- Highly respected applicants are accepted because of the program’s due diligence
- The entire family is eligible for the program. The main participants are spouses, children, and parents.
- A rigorous four-tier due diligence process is required
- You must be 18 to apply
- Investors must invest at least EUR 600,000 over 36 months. You may also choose EUR 750,000 over 12 months.
- Residential property in Malta must be purchased or leased for five years
- You must invest a total of EUR 700,000 or an annual rental value of EUR 16,000 in property.
- Applicants must donate at least EUR 10,000 to a registered non-governmental organization or society
- Legal residence in Malta is required for 36 months
- A valid residence card must be obtained during the residence period to apply for citizenship
- Dual citizenship is allowed
Passport collection procedures
The process of obtaining Malta citizenship requires completion of forms and payment of fees. You must submit all the necessary documents. Upon passing the checks, a residence permit application is submitted, followed by an eligibility application and due diligence. The applicant can take the oath of allegiance and receive a naturalization certificate after meeting the investment, donation, and property requirements. The Community Malta Agency will also monitor the whole process for five years. Any false information or omissions in the application will be rejected.